Saturday, November 8, 2008

Proud to be an American

My exchange student, Bel asked me if I wanted to live in another country because the election did not go the way I voted. Now I have not said one bad thing about our new president elect in front of her but she asked me that this morning. Of course I said "NO, I am still proud to be an American". I am so disappointed when I hear people talk so bad about him in front of their kids or anyone. Before the election you say your opinion after the election you pray and support. You look at the positive. I want my kids to respect whoever is the president period. Now when he disappoints me with decisions he makes I will discuss that with them but still. It is important to me that my kids are supportive and proud to live in a democratic society. As for his color, I could careless what color he is. I may someday have a child by adoption that is that colored. Color had nothing to do with my voting. So I am still proud to be an America!
Oh, I have to add this, the other night they were discussing his abortion stand and Karly looked at me and said "Mom what is an abortion?". Oh it was so sad to have to tell her what that means. The look on her face was of pure shock. She just couldn't understand why someone would ever do that. It was one of those moments as a parent that you hate to see them growing up and learning about sin. OH it broke my heart. It opened up a great discussion on making wise choices.

1 comment:

Gwen Oatsvall said...

Amen to it all ... We have talked w/ Jeremiah about supporting and praying ... He is hearing many bad things at school from others about our new president and it saddens me ... we have an opportunity to show people Christ ...

love ya